Not long ago a blog I’ve been following posted “Seriously Awesome Things” and it reminded me of of “My Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music.
And that got me to thinking, maybe I should jot down some of my favorite things. So, here’s a list in no particular order.
- The sound of shoes walking on gravel, a golf ball falling into the plastic hole when playing mini-golf, and the crinkling of fresh parchment paper.
- Science fiction movies (or TV shows) with good stories and thought-provoking ideas, like Enemy Mine, Threshold and Babylon 5.
- The guilty pleasure of sci fi action films that go boom! You know, like The Terminator, Independence Day and The One.
- Smooth dark chocolate with roasted almonds, chilled in the refrigerator.
- Pesto with feta cheese over egg noodles.
- Nasi goreng from Singapore Express in Marina Del Rey.
- New York Super Fudge Chunk from Ben & Jerry’s.
- Laughing. It’s pretty much my M.O.
- Bouncing. I don’t sit on a chair at my desk, I sit on a large, purple ball. I love to listen to music and bounce while working on the more mundane tasks. My favorite song to bounce to? We Like to the Party by the Vengaboys! That’s an awesome bouncey song!
- Walking barefoot on plush carpet.
- Swimming in the pool under an almost full moon, feeling the warm water caress by skin.
- Seeing the rings of Saturn and the Galilean moons with my telescope. The first time was golden!
- Whooping at the top of my lungs while riding a roller coaster.
- Enjoying an evening out with friends at Medieval Times.
- Seeing or hearing that “aha” moment in the face or voice of a friend or client. I love being the wind beneath the ever so deserving wings of others!
- Strawberries. I love the way they smell. I love the way they taste. I love the way they look. Strawberries are just plain awesome!
- Surprise packages in the mail.
- The musky scent of a clean animal. Like the alfalfa-musk of horses. Or the sweet musk of a dog. Or the warm musk of a cat. Or even the powdery musk of a cockatiel.
- A butterfly resting on the petal of a flower, slowly waving its wings to and fro.
- Putting olives on all my fingertips and eating them. I used to do that every Thanksgiving at Abuela’s house. She always had big, black olives on the table before the main meal. How fun is that?
- Swallows picking at seeds on the deck. Or seeing a hummingbird, for just a moment, perch on a nearby branch for a rest.
- The cooing of pigeons … yes, I said pigeons! Doves are good, too.
- Singing karaoke … especially the harmony in a duet. Singing in the shower. Singing along with the radio while on a road trip. Pretty much singing anytime I can.
- Interviewing interesting people and discovering how much we have in common. I’ve been blessed to interview some very interesting people from a world-renowned theoretical biologist to a Special Olympics athlete to an award-winning science fiction/fantasy artist to an immigrant landscaper to even Pierce Brosnan, one of the best James Bonds ever!
- Being a temporary cyborg, you know, when you become “one” with a piece of technology or machine. Like driving a stick shift along a curvy, back-country road in Sebastapol. Or manning a television camera for a classmate’s Television Production Workshop project. Or riding on the back of a motorcycle, your arms around the guy in front of you, while taking a curve. Magic! Too bad I’ve never done that with a guy I was actually into. Oh, well. There’s always tomorrow!
- Cardio boxing. I have the Gold’s Gym Cardio Workout for the Wii and it is awesome fun!
I’m sure I have more, but that’s what I came up within about 15-20 minutes, plus random thoughts over the past week.
So, what are some of your favorite things?