“You were born to win, but to be a winner,
you must plan to win, prepare to win and expect to win.”
~ Zig Ziglar
What this quote means to entrepreneurs:
I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating: One of my favorite proverbs is “Trust in God by tie up your camel.” Ziglar is saying the same thing in a different way. You may have also heard the same thought expressed this way, “God helps those who help themselves.”
There is a reason that this concept has been with us for so long: Wishful thinking will not get you anywhere. The key to the “Law of Attraction” is taking inspired action.
If you want to be a winner, plan to win. This means taking the actions you know will take you in the right direction. Ziglar has some good advice for doing this, as well. He says that when faced with a decision or opportunity, ask yourself “Will this take me closer to or further from my goal.” For example, will hitting the snooze button one more time get me where I want to go today, this morning? If yes, go ahead and hit it! You deserve to sleep in once in awhile. If not, don’t do it and get up!
If you want to be a winner, you need to prepare to win. This means laying the groundwork that will support your winnings. A farmer fertilizes the soil before planting the seeds and you can do the same. Here are several techniques you can use to prepare to win.
- You want new clients: Create their files ahead of time and label them “Client 1,” “Client 2,” etc.
- Meditate in the morning to ground your energy for the day.
- Gather your tools, ingredients, etc., before starting a project so that you’ll have everything at hand and won’t have to go searching in the middle, thus stopping your flow.
- Hire a mindset coach, such as myself, to help you break through your blocks and barriers to achieving your goal.
- Create your “To-do” list for the next day at the end of the day, or at least first thing in the morning.
Any or all of these actions can set you up to not only be a winner but support you once you win.
If you want to be a winner, you need to expect to win. This is the key: If you expect to lose, you will. Just as Henry Ford said, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t — you’re right.” Do not underestimate the power of your mind to get you where you want to go — or sabotage you on the way there. In working with a variety of clients, I’ve learned first hand that without the mindset, the marketing just doesn’t matter!
Now It’s Your Turn:
Do you agree with my interpretation of today’s quote? Why or why not? What are your thoughts on winning and becoming a winner? Please share your thoughts, experiences, and sage wisdom in a comment below.