By Angela Giles
Carma’s note: When I read this article in a newsletter I receive, I immediately wanted to share it with you. I have faced the following challenges and, occasionally, they rear their demonic heads again. As women, we all face these “opportunities for growth” and I hope that this article inspires you to rise above them.
10 Things Women Should Stop Doing To Themselves
By Angela Giles
In order to have a new ending, you have to start a new beginning. As Arnold Bennett once said, “The chief beauty about time is that you cannot waste it in advance. The next year, the next day, the next hour are lying ready for you, as perfect, as unspoiled, as if you had never wasted or misapplied a single moment in your life. You can turn over a new leaf every hour if you choose.”
This is absolute truth. However, before you can begin this process of evolution you have to stop behaviors that may be holding you back.
Here are some suggestions to get you moving forward:
1. Stop messing around – Playing both sides of the fence gets you nowhere. Making headway means taking risks. Evaluate your situations and take definitive action. Move forward in your life.
2. Stop spending time with the wrong people – Life is too short to spend with people who bring you down. There is too much to experience in life; why not spend it with people who invigorate you? Stop wasting energy trying to prove your worth to someone, when the right people will make room in their lives for you. Make a list of the top five people in your life who bring you down, evaluate the relationships, and decide to let them go or not.
3. Stop worrying so much – Worrying about yesterday or the future robs the happiness from today. Live in the present. If something is bothering you, allow yourself 20 minutes to worry about it, and then let it go.
4. Stop being a control freak – Control is an illusion. You can’t control the actions of other people, events, or situations. The only thing you can control is yourself, your actions, and your reactions. Give yourself permission to evaluate a situation you want to control and then drop it.
5. Stop trying to please everyone – It is absolutely impossible and will only suck you dry. Change the world one person at a time. Focus on pleasing one person every day by lending a helping hand – even if it’s just smiling at a stranger.
6. Stop holding grudges – This will make you sick. Why take up space in your heart with somebody else’s garbage? It isn’t yours, don’t own it. Liberate yourself, forgive, and move on. If it means letting go of a relationship in order to forgive, that’s okay – there are millions of people who will resonate with you that you can build relationships with. Start with the longest-held grudge you own, and over the next 30 days practice letting go.
7. Stop being scared to make mistakes – Every successful person has had more failures than they would care to admit. Why? Because they stopped being scared and took action. You learn from every mistake you make, so why not make lots of them in order to achieve success? It’s time to let go of your fear and jump off the cliff!
8. Stop thinking you’re not ready – No one is ever completely ready when the right opportunity comes along. A great opportunity forces you to grow beyond your comfort level, so you won’t ever feel completely at ease. That’s life; roll with it. Jump on the next opportunity that presents itself to you.
9. Stop holding onto the past and your problems – If you continue to hold onto the past, you’ll never move forward completely. Those issues will continue to cloud and shape your future. Learn from them, then let go of those attachments, and begin fresh! Download our gift to you, Free Your Attachments, Savor The Moments, Expand Your Income (1-Hour Audio Training), by becoming a free Member of Showcasing Women.
10. Stop being ungrateful – Wake up each morning thankful for your own life. No matter how bad or good it is, someone else has it worse. Instead of focusing on what you don’t have, focus on what you do have that someone else is lacking. Spend five minutes every morning writing in a “grateful journal” about what you are thankful for!
You are a powerful woman – start the new chapter of your life right now! Take charge of your time, change your behaviors, and live the life you long to live.
About the Author:
Angela Giles is the Co-founder of ShowcasingWomen.com, the #1 Resource for 70+ Million Working Women. Angela and her business partner, Suzanne Duret, bring vastly different business experiences and lifestyles to the table. Together they are changing lives by helping entrepreneurial-minded women to thrive in all areas of business and life.
This article is reprinted with permission by ShowcasingWomen.com, the #1 Resource For 70+ Million Working Women. Visit them for free instant access to their Success Tools.
Another note from Carma:
Confession time. The demons I’ve faced include:
- Spending time with the wrong people … I stayed married to a very negative (and somewhat abusive) man for 10 years past my knowing better.
- Worrying … yes, I can be a worry wort at times, but I’m working on that!
- Trying to please everyone … yes, I’m a pleaser. And sometimes a molder — so I can please. I’m working on that, too.
- Thinking I’m not ready … this is just an excuse to not step into my power. I’ve come a long way, but there’s still work to do.
So what are your demons? Do tell! Please share some of the demons, challenges and obstacles you’ve faced and, at least in part, have overcome in a comment below so that we all can know we aren’t alone in challenges, obstacles and behavior that no longer serves us!